Monday, February 8, 2010

Wearable Wire


My main idea is to create a wire umbrella. I plan on making the actual umbrella and handle with a thicker gauge wire while adding thinner gauge wire streaming down from the umbrella. From that thinner gauge wire I want to string teardrop shaped beads to act as raindrops, so whoever holds the umbrella is basically going to be trapped within the curtain of raindrops. On the actual umbrella, I want to incorporate a repetitive daisy like pattern. I have a feeling this project is going to be frustrating and difficult for me as I'm not good at maneuvering wire, so I may leave out the pattern if I get rushed on time.
Also, I think it would be cool to incorporate some sort of animal head into the base of the umbrella handle, but I don't know what animal to do or if it would detract too much from the other parts of the piece.

4 comments:

  1. I think that sounds like a fantastic idea! I strongly encourage all of your ideas, though I think somehow you should incorporate maybe more beads into the top of the umbrella, but even if you didn't I think it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea is really cute, and I really like your sketch! It really get's the idea across and i like the looks of it! I think the raindrops coming down is probably the most appealing part of the idea, and would suggest maybe leaving out all the other small details and simplifying it due to time and difficulty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend making the daisies very large so that they are not so time consuming. Larger daisies would also add contrast to how small the raindrops are. I think it would look just as well done and take less time to create.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your idea!!! Your sketches really get your description across. You could also try using fishing line to connect the raindrops to the umbrella instead of the wire. You could also put multiple rain drop beads per line of fishing line to give it more of a raining/floating effect. As for a suggestion for an animal at the end, I would recommend a duck! Rubber duckies always make me think of rain! hah!

    ReplyDelete