Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Origami and Chopstick Bonsai Tree








For my repetition project, I decided to focus on the involvement I've had with Japan for the last 5 years. My family has hosted Japanese exchange students almost every summer, and I had the opportunity to go to Japan on a mission trip through my church last November.
All my materials are iconic of Japan, origami cranes, chopsticks, a bonsai tree. I wrote words, sayings and bible verses that relate to my experiences, in both Japanese and English on the chopsticks. I was hoping this would give the tree a more bark like effect. On the pot, I decoupaged copies of letters from a few of my students.
Because these students and my trip to Japan are so close to my heart, I really wanted to make a piece that would be representational of that and I could keep and display somewhere in my house without having it look too out of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment